Bolton: Attack Iran, ‘remove’ its leader
(The Jerusalem Post) Former US ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton told Tory delegates in Britain Sunday that efforts by the UK and the EU to negotiate with Iran had failed and that he saw no alternative to a pre-emptive strike on suspected nuclear facilities in the country.
Bolton said that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was “pushing out” and “is not receiving adequate push-back” from the West.
“I don’t think the use of military force is an attractive option, but I would tell you I don’t know what the alternative is.
“Because life is about choices, I think we have to consider the use of military force. I think we have to look at a limited strike against their nuclear facilities.”
He added that any strike should be followed by an attempt to remove the “source of the problem”, Ahmadinejad.
“If we were to strike Iran it should be accompanied by an effort at regime change … The US once had the capability to engineer the clandestine overthrow of governments. I wish we could get it back,” he said.
Bolton said that the fact that only partial intelligence about Iran’s nuclear activity existed should not be used as an excuse not to act.
“Intelligence can be wrong in more than one direction… Responding after they (nuclear devices) are used is unacceptable.”
Bolton also said the UN was “fundamentally irrelevant”.
The former envoy criticized Britain’s “softly softly” approach to Iran’s imprisonment of 15 British sailors in April.
They were released after Ahmadinejad announced he was making a “gift” to the British people. “They [Iran] got no response from the UK or the US. If you were the Iranian leader, what conclusion do you draw?”
No comments yet.
- Weekend Islamic attacks kill 37 worldwide Islam’s religious war injures 82 in acts of violent piety honoring Muhammad in the name of Allah, their god, worldwide
- Honor/terror killing brings jihadism to Canada Al-Qaeda active, deadly injuries average more than 100 daily
- Saudi king pardons teenage rape victim
- Bomb Squad Investigates Explosions
- Blast in Watsonville, heard for blocks, destroys city employee’s car
- Osama could be in Bajaur: Musharraf
- Ayman al-Zawahiri – al Qaeda’s Number 2.0 Man
- British Suspect In Trans-Atlantic Jet Terror Plot Escapes On The Run In Pakistan
- Iran indicates it is building another nuclear plant
- Weekend death toll of jihadist terror war: 66 Six nations targeted in Islamic efforts to destroy “infidels”
- CAN supporters sound off about Sudan Teddi tirades Son of supporter in America lives in England, wrote to London’s Guardian
- al-Qaida No. 2 Blasts Peace Conference