Countering the Anti-American Alliance in Latin America; As the anti-American alliance between the Islamic Republic of Iran and radical leftist governments in Latin America grows stronger, so too should our concerns about the security threat it poses
(The Gathering Storm) A good attempt at isolating the hemisphere from further damage at the hands of dictators could be a bipartisan proposal by Senators Mel Martinez (R-FL) and Bob Menendez (D-NJ) that would establish a 10-year, $2.5 billion development program in Latin America and the Caribbean. The proposal is aimed at reducing poverty, expanding the middle class, and investing in areas such as education, healthcare, and housing, and would go a long way in re-establishing a presence in a region that many agree the U.S. has neglected in recent years. The plan also encourages matching funds from businesses and requires recipient countries to contribute 10 percent for their projects.
Just last week, in what was billed as an historic visit to Bolivia in order to establish diplomatic relations, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad pledged an investment of $1 billion to help the impoverished country explore its “vast natural gas reserves, extract minerals, generate more electricity and fund agricultural and construction projects.”
During his latest visit with Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez, Iran’s principal ally in the region, Ahmadinejad emphasized once again the importance of their alliance in opposition to the “imperialist” United States. “Together we are surely growing stronger, and in truth no one can defeat us. Imperialism has no other option: Respect the peoples (of the world) or accept defeat.” Along with Iran, Chavez has challenged U.S. spending in the region by pledging more than $8.8 billion in direct aid in 2007 alone.
Meanwhile, Israel is considering downgrading relations with Caracas because of Iran’s growing presence in the region.
No comments yet.
- Weekend Islamic attacks kill 37 worldwide Islam’s religious war injures 82 in acts of violent piety honoring Muhammad in the name of Allah, their god, worldwide
- Honor/terror killing brings jihadism to Canada Al-Qaeda active, deadly injuries average more than 100 daily
- Saudi king pardons teenage rape victim
- Bomb Squad Investigates Explosions
- Blast in Watsonville, heard for blocks, destroys city employee’s car
- Osama could be in Bajaur: Musharraf
- Ayman al-Zawahiri – al Qaeda’s Number 2.0 Man
- British Suspect In Trans-Atlantic Jet Terror Plot Escapes On The Run In Pakistan
- Iran indicates it is building another nuclear plant
- Weekend death toll of jihadist terror war: 66 Six nations targeted in Islamic efforts to destroy “infidels”
- CAN supporters sound off about Sudan Teddi tirades Son of supporter in America lives in England, wrote to London’s Guardian
- al-Qaida No. 2 Blasts Peace Conference