Muslim mob attacks Christians in northern Nigeria; 10 killed, hundreds displaced; Late last month, a mob of Muslims attacked Christians and set churches, homes, and business on fire in the state of Kano
(AP) Ten Christians were recently killed and hundreds injured when Muslims went on a violent rampage in a northern Nigerian state. A spokesman with Voice of the Martyrs says the attack shows how dangerous it is for believers in the area.
Late last month, a mob of Muslims attacked Christians and set churches, homes, and business on fire in the state of Kano. More than 500 members of the minority Christian population were displaced in that attack. Reports say Muslim students at a government school became enraged when they supposedly saw a Christian student draw a cartoon of Muhammad on the wall of the school’s mosque.
Todd Nettleton, a spokesman for Voice of the Martyrs, says in recent years it has become more volatile for Christians in northern Nigeria.
“Many of the northern states have moved to adopt sharia law as their governing force,” the ministry spokesman explains. “So we’re now seeing how that [law] is affecting the Christians there. Many of them are very frightened and afraid; we need to obviously pray for their encouragement as well as pray for the families of those who were killed, as they mourn this loss.”
According to Nettleton, the allegation about the Muhammad drawing has been proven false.
“All of the Christians there [asked], ‘Why would we be so foolish, when we’re such a minority, to draw a cartoon of Muhammad?’ As well, it was during Ramadan. They [asked], ‘Why would we do it during Ramadan?'” he notes. “So it seems clear that this was sort of a setup in order to turn this Muslim majority loose against the tiny minority of Christians in their school.”
The school has 2,000 students, and only seven are Christian.
No comments yet.
- Weekend Islamic attacks kill 37 worldwide Islam’s religious war injures 82 in acts of violent piety honoring Muhammad in the name of Allah, their god, worldwide
- Honor/terror killing brings jihadism to Canada Al-Qaeda active, deadly injuries average more than 100 daily
- Saudi king pardons teenage rape victim
- Bomb Squad Investigates Explosions
- Blast in Watsonville, heard for blocks, destroys city employee’s car
- Osama could be in Bajaur: Musharraf
- Ayman al-Zawahiri – al Qaeda’s Number 2.0 Man
- British Suspect In Trans-Atlantic Jet Terror Plot Escapes On The Run In Pakistan
- Iran indicates it is building another nuclear plant
- Weekend death toll of jihadist terror war: 66 Six nations targeted in Islamic efforts to destroy “infidels”
- CAN supporters sound off about Sudan Teddi tirades Son of supporter in America lives in England, wrote to London’s Guardian
- al-Qaida No. 2 Blasts Peace Conference