Former U.S. Speaker Newt Gingrich offers telling statistics; Survey results show American readiness to take on the fight against jihadism at home
(Christian Action Network) WASHINGTON DC – Former speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Newt Gingrich speaking at the Washington Briefing Values Voter Summit Friday Oct. 19, gave statistics from a summer 2007 polling research project that included American responses to questions about terrorism threats.
Gingrich said he drew on his experience as a Georgia political activist for 47 years, 20 years in the U.S. Congress, four as Speaker, to interpret the meaning of a clear majority at strengths of between 70 and 95 percent in agreement on several core values, hopes and fears.
“Our two political parties have both failed to represent the American people effectively,” he said, adding a citizen movement that “transcends any single organization” should work with the parties to effect a paradigm change required to meet the most severe challenges the future holds.
“It is hard for our elites to understand how distant they are from the average American in values,” Gingrich said.
He then offered statistics that include several signs of a divide in understanding the threat of jihadism in America that is known at the grassroots level but not acknowledged higher up.
Included, 93 percent of Americans believe Al Qaeda poses a serious threat, 71 percent perceive America’s terrorist enemies would kill millions of Americans if they had the chance.
It is very important to 85 percent for an American group or organization to pursue the goal of helping defend the nation and its allies – 75 percent taking the sentiment further to pursue the goal of defeating America’s enemies.
“A full 83 percent support the establishment of clear laws making it a crime to advocate acts of terrorism or violent conduct or the killing of innocent people in the United States,” Gingrich said.
An 85 percent majority perceive a serious threat emanating from Iran. A 77 percent majority believe in closing down terrorist websites at home and abroad using computer warfare techniques.
“There are people who are aware of the fact that jihadism is a major threat wanting to kill in order to impose their jihadist Islamic laws in place of our Constitutional freedoms,” Gingrich said, “and the American people are saying, yeah, I get it, let’s protect us and defeat them.”
3 Comments »
- Weekend Islamic attacks kill 37 worldwide Islam’s religious war injures 82 in acts of violent piety honoring Muhammad in the name of Allah, their god, worldwide
- Honor/terror killing brings jihadism to Canada Al-Qaeda active, deadly injuries average more than 100 daily
- Saudi king pardons teenage rape victim
- Bomb Squad Investigates Explosions
- Blast in Watsonville, heard for blocks, destroys city employee’s car
- Osama could be in Bajaur: Musharraf
- Ayman al-Zawahiri – al Qaeda’s Number 2.0 Man
- British Suspect In Trans-Atlantic Jet Terror Plot Escapes On The Run In Pakistan
- Iran indicates it is building another nuclear plant
- Weekend death toll of jihadist terror war: 66 Six nations targeted in Islamic efforts to destroy “infidels”
- CAN supporters sound off about Sudan Teddi tirades Son of supporter in America lives in England, wrote to London’s Guardian
- al-Qaida No. 2 Blasts Peace Conference